Due to budget constraints, the following policies have been established regarding employees travellling on official business:
- Hitchhiking in lieu of commercial transport is the preferred choice.
- Fluorescent safety vest, safety flags and safety cones (fore and aft) will be issued to all employees prior to their departure on company business.
- Bus transportation will be used whenever hitchhiking is not possible. Airline tickets will only be authorized for purchase in extreme circumstances and the lowest fare will be used. For example, if a meeting is scheduled in Chicago, but a lower fare can be obtained to Sarnia, then the meeting will be relocated to Sarnia.
- All employees are encouraged to stay with relatives, friends, or mere acquaintances while on company business. If weather permits, public areas such as parks, roadside rest stops and parking lots should be used for temporary lodging sites. Bridges and tunnels may provide sheleter in periods of inclement weather.
- Expenditure for meals will be limited to the absolute minimum. It should be noted that certain grocery chains often provide free samples of promotional items. Entire meals can frequently be consumed in this manner.
- Travelers should also become familiar with indigenous roots, berries and other protein sources (such as crickets and grasshoppers) available at their destination. If restaurants must be utilized, traveler should seek establishments with “all you can eat” salad bars. This will be especially cost effective to employees traveling together, as a single plate can be used to feed an entire group. Employees are also encouraged to bring their own food while on company business. Cans of tuna, SPAM and Beefaroni can be conveniently consumed at your leisure, without heating or other costly preparations.
- All employees are encouraged to employ innovative techniques in our team effort to save company dollars. One enterprising individual has already suggested how money can be raised during airport layover periods. In support of this idea, “red caps” will be issued to all employees prior to departure so that they may earn tips for helping other travellers with their luggage during such periods. Small plastic roses will also be made available to that sales may be made as time permits.
We thank you in advance and look forward to a very prosperous 2018!